Sunday, February 6, 2011

Book Review - Freedom by Jonathan Franzen

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen turned out to be a big disappointment, though many will disagree with me. Franzen is an award-winning novelist, having enjoyed great success with The Corrections, but this novel failed to live up to the hype. It's about the decline, fall and rebirth of a Midwestern American family. The trouble is that it's hard to believe that any of the characters would really take the actions they do. In between the interesting bits - because there are some - there are pages and pages of interminable monologues on different issues such as environmentalism. Somehow, it just doesn't work. It's an unfortunate start to my 101 books, but there are still 100 to go, so I'm hopeful that things will improve.

2 comments:

  1. Bugger - just wrote a comment and clicked to another page before I put in the verification code! LOL

    Anyway, was saying what a bummer that it. It is hard to get enthused when you start with a dud isn't it? What is next on your list?

    I'm reading "House Rules" by Jodi Piccoult now and I can't put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't quite decided it, but it will be a Jodi Picoult one, too. :)

    ReplyDelete