Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Professional by Robert B Parker - Book 8

It's not often that I get a book as a present by an author I've never heard of, but that's exactly what happened with Robert B Parker's the professional. What's even more surprising is that he's written dozens of books. This book is part of his Spenser series.

Amazon's description: "Spenser agrees to help a quartet of married women fend off extortion demands from stud Gary Eisenhower, with whom each has had an affair. Meanwhile, the husband of one of the women under blackmail threat hires some thugs to deal with the matter. The action takes its time getting to a dead body, but, as usual, the smooth, entertaining prose more than compensates for any deficiencies of plot."

The fact that this is the 37th (!) Spenser novel didn't detract from my enjoyment. The backstory wasn't intrusive and the story clipped along at a decent pace. I liked the characters' occasionally sardonic sense of humor and found the book hard to put down. I plan to add the rest of the series to my wishlist (in case anyone asks) and will definitely be reading more of his books in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment