Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lynda La Plante - Books 78-80

I've always liked Lynda LaPlante's books. She specializes in crime - detective fiction and is most famous as the author of the Prime Suspect television series featuring Helen Mirren as Jane Tennison. So I was pleased to get hold of a bunch of books I hadn't read - and they are next on my list. I started with The Legacy , the story of Freedom Stubbs and Evie. I found the plot involving Evie as a miner's daughter at the turn of the century quite compelling, with the additional plot line of Freedom's murder trial and subsequent rise to the heights of professional boxing less so. All in all, though, it was a good read, which most LaPlante fans will enjoy. Recommended (though she's written better).

Next, I moved onto Blood Line which featured more of my favorite characters, James Langton and Anna Travis and was an excellent read.

From that recent case I stepped back to the start of their work together with  Above Suspicion where they investigated a string of unsolved prostitute murders. The killer plays cat and mouse with them all the way through until, after a dangerous confrontation, his guilt is revealed and he's caught. There's an excellent British drama adaptation of this novel which is also worth watching. Highly recommended.

See more of Lynda LaPlante's novels on Amazon's Lynda LaPlante author page

No comments:

Post a Comment